Sunday, October 28, 2007

All about the Chickens

the first egg- YIPPEEEEEE

Ok so I think that the chickens may have bought themselves some time!!! This afternoon we found our first egg. Scott was stacking wood and heard all the comotion. He found the little brown egg in one of the nesting boxes. A barred rock was the proud layer. Scott has been talking about adding the chickens to the cow in the freezer for awhile now. It is a beautiful fall day in Newmarket- the leaves are falling quickly and the wind is blowing. I am starting to get the garden ready for winter. We have two little pumpkins growing but I don't think they will make it. Jackson and I are going to pick out our pumpkins this afternoon- only a couple days left to get the jack-o-lanterns ready!!!!!!

We hope that everyone is enjoying the fall. Before we know it winter will be here.


the happy egg layer

the chickens of Elm Court




7 comments:

Maggie said...

So what happened with the first egg?

Loni and Jackson said...

we used it to make dinner. it was yummy!!!!!!

petecobb99 said...

i hope there was more than one egg for dinner...

Marc said...

so - now the chickens have no incentive to lay any more eggs...since you're just going to steal them...to make Scott's Famous Scrambled Egg...

amy said...

anymore eggs yet??

gardenboy said...

I can't believe you didn't call me with this earth shattering news. i must say right now you are getting more eggs than we are. Can't really pinpoint what is wrong but the hens in my barn have not laid an egg in over 2 weeks. Some of them appear to be molting. Seems like a crazy time to be losing feathers but they are. The other reason could be that I switched them from a layer mash to layer pellets. There is no issue doing the mash versus pellet approach. But what I think happened was that the feeder was not dispensing enough feed for them. Lack of feed translates to lack of eggs. I fully understand that. If nobody fed me I probably wouldn't work either.

mcw said...

my chicken lays eggs in the cooler unit at the grocery store in a nice little box.